Sunday, June 7, 2015

Vegetarians in the House---please give me a break.

Well, I am supposed to be looking at new recipes for vegetarian meals and finding some great ideas (yet again) before we hit the supermarket tomorrow.

Good luck with that.

My husband is a vegetarian and my son is an almost vegetarian and I am not so it's always fun making meals at our house (not).

That's why after five minutes of looking for "new vegetarian main meal recipes" I was drifting over to a website promising the best cakes in the world.  Looking at pictures of delicious chocolate ganche cakes filled with maple cream or cream cheese frosting is much more interesting than bean burgers or mushroom lasagna (bleh).

When you have to build a whole meal around vegetables, even nice ones like baked potatoes or corn--you see I can be flexible--it's very difficult for me.  I tend to revert back to the same few recipes all revolving around black beans, some sort of red sauce, cheese, pasta, and the occasional casserole.

I know, there are plenty of terrific vegetarian meals--if only everyone like the same vegetables.

First off, my husband is quite easy to please and will eat anything or try anything without complaining. I think this quite good of him considering I have been making this bizarre and alien type of food for over twenty years. I actually admire him not eating meat. I love animals and do get guilty when I think about them being killed for food.

I admit I am weak. I am not giving up chicken or the occasional burger.

Anyhow, my husband has decided suddenly he hates all forms of pasta. Also he is not a big fan of rice.

Probably number two--my son is a HUGE fan of pasta. He would eat pasta, pizza, pasta, pizza, mac and cheese, pasta, pizza, and so on every day.  He like black beans and rice, and has unfortunately inherited my sweet tooth.

Me--well, by dinner time I would grab a bowl of cereal and say that's over with, so let's just move on to something interesting. Or let's all eat some chicken and rice and maybe some corn and leave me alone to dream of cake or cookies or read my book or play a game on my computer.

Not going to happen.

My husband is pretty good about making his own meals when I get sick of doing it. His cooking is very basic and very boring. Beans on toast (yes, he is English),  Or beans on toast with peanut butter. Stepping up the game.

Sighing, I return reluctantly to the vegetarian recipes Hopefully I will find something for once we all like. Otherwise, I guess there's always pizza.






No comments:

Post a Comment